Business News: What's Up With Jen's Job?

I haven't blogged about my job situation in a long time so I thought I'd better update everyone on what's going on with me. My job hunt has ended and I'm no longer looking for another boring day job in the mortgage industry. I'm gainfully self employed as of January 1st, woohoo! Lemme tell you a story...

It's no secret that I've been in and out of therapy my whole life and that it's done me a lot of good. So during the month of December, I had made up my mind that I was going to take that month as a "Mental Health Month". I started bartering with two different therapists doing office work for them in trade for sessions. As the month rolled on and I realized that therapists are not paper people, they're people people, and I had a brilliant plan: I can do contract office work and avoid the whole lame day job thing entirely! So as of January 1st, I changed from a barter to a billing situation with both the ladies that I'd been working with and this week is the first week that my billable hours exceeded my enemployment claims. I also picked up another therapist who is going to hire me from time to time and I've got a fourth who is interested in hearing about my services. I'm not going to pursue *too* many opportunities, partly because I still have my unemployment to supplement my income, but also because it seems that I'm generating interest in Tarrant County and am having to drive to the other side of the metroplex to have work that I like right now. Still tho, it's SO nice to be happy to go to work and have a pleasant working environment, that it's more than worth the drive for me. And there's more...

I'm registered for real estate school and start taking night classes at UTA starting Monday, January 23! I figured since I'm working in Tarrant County that I might as well do school out there too, and the teacher for the courses comes highly recommended. It's going to be an intensive next few months where I'll be working days and going to school at nights, so I probably I won't be having a whole lot of social life to blog about, warning in advance. Still tho, I'm *very* excited that I'll be trading school for starting my real estate career this summer. I'm scheduled to be ready to take my license exam in early May and I'm so totally thrilled that I feel like I'm going to bust! I'm finally giving in to the family tradition of sales (this goes back at least 4 generations and that's only the part I know about) and striking out on my own. So if any of you need a realtor in the DFW area starting this summer, I'll be able to help you out. :)

I also have a couple of supplemental income ideas that I'm looking into: signing up with independent notary agencies to do loan signings; and filling out online surveys for money. (http://www.toponlinesurveys.com/ Anyone know anything about whether or not this is a scam? Please comment and let me know.) So I know that I will be able to make this thing work without having to go work for "the man" anymore.

B is being extremely supportive of me during all of this, and for that I'm so grateful that I don't think I can even express it in words. He really hates his job but has graciously volunteered to stay there until I can get things rolling enough that he can look for other options. My goal is to be making enough money this time next year that he only needs to make part-time money. Then we can go back to our original arrangement where he primarily takes care of the household things and I bring home the bacon. That was an optimal scenario for both of us and I look forward to having it back again. I also love the fact that I will have unlimited earning potential...we both have caviar taste on a Taco Bell budget right now and it doesn't exactly work for us. The sky's the limit and I'm aiming for that! I live for the day when we have to start buying property of our own to keep our taxes low, LOL!

So that's the news, kids. I'll post updates as I have time to do so...wish me luck! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Final Xmas post

RIP Charlie "Butch" Sours, I miss your cranky ass. :'-(

Drawing healthy boundaries